Beyond Religion Series
October 6, 2019
Describe your best friend in high school. What did you like about them?
Matthew 16:21-23, Luke 22:31-34
Main idea: Following Jesus Means Being Authentic
Three authentic relationship principles:
1. Authenticity is coupled with hope
2. Authenticity relies on God’s wisdom, not our own
3. Authenticity is personal and direct
Why wasn’t Jesus “nice?”
1. Jesters limit maturity,
2. Jesters are dishonest,
3. Jesters have shallow relationships,
4. Jesters are not respected
What do to?
1. Ask God for humility and courage
2. Ask for input
3. Listen before speaking
4. In love, be honest
Questions for discussion
1. Of the three relationship principles, which one do you find the easiest? The hardest? Why?
2. Who do you feel you are the most authentic with (beyond your spouse – if any)? What allows you to be authentic with them?
1. Be honest. On a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being the most), how authentic do you feel you can be in this Connect Group? Why? What would make that number go up 1?
2. What do you think YOU can begin to do to form a group where authenticity is more welcomed?